Sunday, April 24, 2011

April 10, 2011

50 minute drawing
Another late post...I need to really step up on my game and finish these postings on time. I've been thinking about how this semester has flew by so quickly. I swear, time goes by faster and faster each year. My mom used to say this all the time when I was just a little girl, and of course, I didn't understand what she meant then. Time passed by so slowly when I was little.. People perceive time as a fraction of their life. for a 5 year old, 5 years is a lifetime. for a 50 year old, 5 years is only a blink of an eye. I've always thought its because when we are younger, we tend to be much more in the moment- really absorbing what is going on around us. As we age, we sometimes tend to lose this, always thinking of yesterday or tomorrow, multitasking, and generally not really paying attention. We've been drawing long drawings (50 minutes to 2 hours) lately, and they have been making me lose focus and sometimes fall asleep. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy drawing. If I could draw all day long, I would. It's just that lately, I've been feeling so tired and thinking a lot about useless things..okay, not useless, but definitely something I don't need to think about while drawing. I'll try to keep my focus on what I need to do to improve my drawing skills. I do believe I am doing a lot better with weird perspective drawings. I tried to take Amy's advice and work on different line variations. I wasn't really sure what she meant, but just made the parts (lines) that are closer to me darker. I have attached a picture from one of our long drawings and just wanted to add that I really enjoyed drawing from that angle.

And here's a poem that I found, thought some people might enjoy it.

A Thought Suggested By The New Year 
by Thomas Campbell (1837)

The more we live, more brief appear
Our life's succeeding stages:
A day to childhood seems like a year,
And years like passing ages.

The gladsome current of our youth,
Ere passions yet disorders,
Steals, lingering like a river smooth,
Along its grassy borders.

But as the care-worn cheek grows wan,
And sorrow's shafts fly thicker,
Ye stars, that measure life to man,
Why seem your courses quicker?

When joys have lost their bloom and breath,
And life itself is vapid,
Why, as we reach the Falls of death,
Feel we its tide more rapid?

It may be strange-yet who would change
Time's course to slower speeding;
When one by one our friends have gone,
And left our bosoms bleeding?

Heaven gives our years of fading strength
Indemnifying fleetness;
And those of youth, a seeming length,
Proportioned to their sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment